Yesterday, I told you guys that I went to Biloxi. I had never been to a casino and I was totally overwhelmed to say the least. I walked in and was overpowered by the brightly lit machines, sheer amount of people, and fancy Blackjack dealers moving cards so fast I had to assume they were doing magic tricks.
I had no idea what I was doing. Luckily, I had some awesome girlfriends to help me out. I’m going to be that girlfriend for you. Here are some things I learned from them and some things I learned on my own (aka mistakes I made.)
1. Only withdraw the amount of money from the ATM that you are willing to lose. If you are not willing to lose $200, don’t take $200 out.
2. Practice your basic math skills. Adding numbers and counting to 21 is harder than you think when you’re under pressure.
3. Sit at a fun and friendly dealer’s table. Watch the table for a few minutes before you sit. Some of the dealers are grumpy and get mad when you don’t do the hand signals correctly the first time. Some are more than willing to help you.
4. Speaking of hand signals, you have to make them big. There is a camera over your table to make sure you aren’t cheating. The same dealer will get mad at your for not doing the hand signals large enough.
5. Here are the hand signals if you need them.
6. If the dealer gets five Blackjacks in a row, they are luckier than you will ever be and you need to move on. They will take all your money.
7. Don’t hit on old guys in hopes they will teach you to play craps. They will not be amused. They are serious about their craps. Just because Monica was a craps natural in Friends, doesn’t mean you will be. Unless you know how to play, you’re probably better off watching.
8. You can win big on slot machines, but more than likely you won’t. Stick to the tables.
9. You can tip anyone from Blackjack dealers and cocktail waitresses in poker chips.
10. Do not under any circumstances look at your phone.
11. If you look younger than 60, someone will check your ID every ten steps. Keep it handy.
12. If you are also staying in the casino, keep your room key handy. They will ask for that if you even glance at the elevator.
13. Sometimes people can smoke in casinos. Take frequent showers. You will stink by association.
14. The food is amazing! If you are dieting, just plan to not that weekend.
15. Be lucky! Wear your lucky socks, rub your rabbit’s foot, don’t say anything to jinx yourself, and knock on wood. Gambling is all luck.
Do you gamble? What are some of your best tips?
Christine Everyday says
This is awesome! We're heading up to the new casino in Murphy NC soon and I will definitely be remembering these tips.
Nadine Lynn says
I have never gambled before. I think it would be fun, but I wouldn't want to lose more than $25 to $50 lol.
Kristen @ See You In A Porridge says
why shouldn't you look at your phone? do you get into trouble? i am not a big gambler, at most i'll put money in a slot machine.. but i really prefer to keep my money haha.
Emelia at Dream Big & Buy the Shoes says
I don't gamble often because I get too scared to lose money. My husband loves Blackjack and I enjoy watching him and he's taught me some of the things you mention. I like a few of the slots like Super Jackpot Party because it's really like a party…HAHAHA
Alanna @ Alanna and Company says
I'm so bad at gambling. Well actually I'm bad at counting, so if I sit down to play Blackjack I'm like…7+5= uhhhhh? and count on my fingers. So I usually stick with slots.