I am on a trivia team. We play every Tuesday night and our name is “Cranial Flatulence.” It means brain fart… we think we’re funny.
I might be the least qualified person ever to be on a trivia team. The only thing I might be less qualified for is blogging, but they let me do that too, so I’m not worried. Honestly, I’m just on the team for the social aspect, but there are some people who are in it to win it. They threaten our host, get really angry if their points are off by one, and RUN to get their answers turned in on time.
I am not one of these people. I am actually the worst person to have on a trivia team. Here’s why:
– I don’t know why they yell science. After the host says the category “Science” everyone yells after him “SCIENCE.” I have no idea why they do this or what the reference is…and I’m too embarrassed to ask at this point and don’t care enough to look it up.
– I also don’t remember anything from science class. Every time we have a science question I get really frustrated because I remember learning about it, I remember kind of which semester I learned it, but no details.
– When I know the answer, I shout it out. I get really excited when I actually know something, but you aren’t supposed to do that because then everyone knows the answer…
– I laugh at everyone else’s team names. I love half time and final question because I get to hear the other team names from the night. I usually crack up laughing. Both times.
– I’ve never seen Star Trek and know next to nothing about Star Wars. Apparently these are vital cinema snacks you must know backwards and forwards if you want to be good at trivia.
– I’m usually late. Sorry guys.
– I sing every song in between questions. Our host has killer taste in music, can you blame me?
– I never look up the free answer ahead of time. There is a website that gives you the free answer to the first question after half time. I never remember to look it up…
– I don’t have a category. Everyone on my team has their category where they excel. We have the pop culture guy, the music guy, the science guy, the history and geography couple, the sports guy, the random fact girl, etc. I don’t have a category…
Why do they keep me on the team, you may ask? I’ve narrowed it down to two reasons. Number One: I share my fried pickles. Number two: I have been a pinch hitter for a couple of key questions, mostly pertaining to 90’s rap lyrics, Disney Movies, and Honey Boo Boo’s real name.
Alanna @ Alanna and Company says
Love it! I do trivia on some random nights with a couple work friends but we all suck too and don't have categories except everyone has tried to claim sports (excluding me…). And shush, you are definitely qualified to blog!
Oh gosh sports is SO not my thing. Unless it's totally generic. No specifics about which team won xyz in 1976. So hard.
Alana Thompson! And yup, that's about the only question I'd get right at trivia either. But we play XXX trivia and it's just as awful as you'd expect and I'm way better at that. And we always have horrible team names that suggest we're very bad people, like Sandusky's Day Care. But we always get free shots for our names.
YES! I'm so proud. Haha I'm cracking up at the team name. See this is what I do!
Brittany Deskins says
I'm terrible at trivia too–but awesome at dubsmash ha!
I love dubsmash so much…
I've never done a trivia night, but knowing how I get during our family rounds of Trivial Pursuit, I'm guessing I'd be one of the super competitive ones haha If there's ever a 90s rap lyrics and Disney night, you and I would dominate! And fried pickles….yum!
Name the time and place! It's so funny cause I hate regular pickles but LOVE fried pickles. I realize they're both pickles but it totally changes it for me.
Ash @ The Nashvillian says
I love trivia nights! I haven't done one in so long, but I need to! The team names are my favorite too!
It's so fun! I love going every week.
Life with Lolo says
Hahaha, I love, love, LOVE bar trivia! We used to go fairly often but I haven't been in a long time. I'm kind of like you, I'm not the best know it all, but I do know some really random things that come in handy! Man – I need to assemble my trivia team, like stat!
It's SO fun. I love going every week. Plus it's a reason to drink beer on a Tuesday night.
Jeans and a Tank Top says
I think your team name is great! And I think pinch-hitter is a totally acceptable, and valuable, position for a trivia team.
Thanks! We think we're funny. I'm going to totally quote you on that.
Fairy Princess Jord says
I've never gone to a trivia night before but I think it would be fun althoughoh admittedly I wouldn't know the answers to any questions either. I think sharing yor fried Pickles immediately makes you an irreplaceable team member (;
It is definitely a good time! I honestly think that sharing my pickles is the only reason they keep me.
Tami @ Friday Morning Buzz says
Omg I SUCK at bar trivia too. And I don't have the patience to be in it for the long haul. After the third question I'm like can we just give it up and drink beer now?!
I'm worse, I drink beer through the whole thing! It does not help with my focus and concentration…
Kasey At The Bat says
I AM THE SAME WAY ABOUT YELLING ANSWERS. except I also tend to yell wrong answers with the same gusto, because it's really just my inside voice.
I do that too! I just yell any answer when I think I'm right. I'm really amazed they haven't kicked me off yet.
Kati Rose @ Constantly Seeking Wonder says
I go to trivia every week with a few friends and over time they've learned to put me on the inside and often we sit by a speaker so people can't hear me excitedly say the answer because we lost the championship round once due to that – OOPS, but they know I'm too valuable to lose (because for some reason useless knowledge I maintain like a sponge.) I also love hearing team names. People get creative and get weird.
I want you on my team! I can barely remember my middle name from day to day. I'm so impressed with you.